Testing for Active COVID-19 Infection Options
- Call your health insurance or primary care physician for testing options.
- State Testing Sites: The state has opened sites in Chula Vista, El Cajon, Escondido and Southeastern San Diego to test for active COVID-19 infection. You need to make an appointment for all sites. Testing is free, and you do not need to have symptoms. Appointments can be made online or by calling 888-634-1123.
- County Testing Sites: Tests at all locations are free but you need to make an appointment by calling 2-1-1. These are diagnostic tests to determine whether someone has an active infection.
Testing for COVID-19 Antibodies
LabCorp announced on April 22, 2020, that COVID-19 serological antibody testing was being made more broadly available to hospitals, healthcare organizations, and through its patient service centers, including LabCorp at Walgreens locations.
Serology testing, also known as coronavirus antibody tests, can check for different types of antibodies developed after exposure to the SARS-CoV-2 virus that causes COVID-19. This type of COVID-19 test is for individuals who think they may have previously had COVID-19 and do not currently have symptoms. Note: antibody testing should not be used as the sole basis to diagnose or exclude infection.
There are also several telehealth providers that offer access to COVID-19 antibody testing without having to go into a doctor’s office or visiting another healthcare provider. LabCorp has provided more information about telemedicine providers that can order tests from LabCorp.
If you are very sick get medical attention immediately
If you develop emergency warning signs for COVID-19 get medical attention immediately. Emergency warning signs include*:
- Trouble breathing
- Persistent pain or pressure in the chest
- New confusion or inability to arouse
- Bluish lips or face
*This list is not all-inclusive. Please consult your medical provider for any other symptoms that are severe or concerning.